Monday, June 8, 2015

Open Education Resource Reflection

Here is the link to my class website that includes a lesson with OER links. (DeFelice Website --> see the June 8th lesson in Algebra 3-4 Calendar)

1) The main impediment to the widespread adoption of OER content by classroom teachers is the relevance of the content to teachers' lessons. While it is very helpful to have available resources for students and teachers to access, I can see individuals struggling with applying the content to what is being learned in the classroom. Particular strategies or lessons may be taught or explained in a different way than how a teacher presents information. Students may also have a hard time accessing and navigating the variety of resources that are present. Another issue is student desire and motivation to complete the work associated with using resources.

2) One advantage of OER is its accessibility to all people and the ability to update information more quickly than with traditional textbooks. It also provides educators with resources for lesson development and extension activities to help support students.

3) This model frees educators from the restraints of using particular publishing companies. Teachers can more readily collaborate over various resources and apply what they feel is appropriate for their particular classes, not what a textbook think is appropriate.

3 comments:

  1. Sean, I can agree that the students might have difficulty relating the content on the website to what they are learning in class. Also, teachers can definitely update information more quickly than textbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean and Sonia, I agree with both of you and your points about textbooks and publishers. I think that OER content could really help free teachers from traditional textbooks, which are not updated very often, and from publishers, whose materials may be cost prohibitive and not exactly what the teacher is looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not agree more with your first point, Sean. I think that all of us as teachers tailor so much of what we do to our specific classes of students. OER do not offer the flexibility many of us need.

    ReplyDelete