One of the main benefits I see with integrating videos could potentially be doing a flipped classroom. Having students watch lessons at home and then do practice work in school might be a more effective way of reaching the kids in my class. A challenge with that would be creating an organized system to disseminate the videos to my students and track who is watching.
I think the flipped classroom would allow the opportunity to more directly meet my students needs by working on particular strategies with them in class.
I have been using Geogebra in my classroom with limited success. While the program offers a great deal, it can be hard for students to access and use. I can see incorporating the lessons in Geogebra with video recordings to help students see what steps they should follow when doing a particular lesson. Or, I could even produce a lecture using a video with a Geogebra resource.
Students also struggle with using graphing calculators, so I could see creating videos with little tutorials on how to use different aspects of the graphing calculator.
I really like this idea and find it super interesting. OFTEN I encounter students that say that they can't complete homework outside of school for various reasons, but RARELY do I find that a student has left school and returned the next day without watching a YouTube video, viewing a Vine, or checking their Facebook NewsFeed.....for hours on end. I wonder what the excuses would be if their assignment was to watch a video posted on a highly accessible website.
ReplyDelete