Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Chrome / FOSS Blog Reflection

I agree with the concept of Open Source Content, particularly when viewing it through the lens of a first year teacher. I remember not knowing how to effectively plan lessons for my students and at my wits end in terms of looking for content or suggestions. Having an open forum where teachers can share lessons and materials used would have been extremely helpful in those first few years and I still think I would find it beneficial when I have to cover a new topic. I do struggle with how to compensate people for the work they have completed. While the goal is to give equal access to knowledge, we still have to figure out a way to make sure people's efforts are rewarded. I think this is what the article was talking about when it mentioned DOSC (Developing Open Source Content).

Overall, increased access to materials for students is the best policy as it provides equal opportunities for all. Transitioning to a system like that presents quite a challenge for society and educators.

3 comments:

  1. When I was a first year teacher, I realized how much "they" didn't teach me in college. If it wasn't for the content that so many people shared online, I don't know how I would have gotten through my first year still standing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Open Source content is particularly helpful for first-year teachers. I also think that we need to become more comfortable with using what others have found or created, and not feel like we're slacking. Sifting through material, taking what is relevant to us, and organizing it for our students is certainly an admirable task.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that FOSS is the "best policy" in that it is available to all, regardless of economic status. I really did not think about the compensation for those who did the initial work...that is a good point. Maybe I am being naive but I anticipate litigation initiated by the business community to protect their interests.

    ReplyDelete