It seems like the article didn't really connect with the prompt of the question.
As a special educator, I can relate to over identifying students as having ADD or ADHD. If classrooms were more engaging, would students be less bored and more likely to participate in class? Would this also lead to a decline in students who are labeled with attention deficit disorders? I don't think the two are as connected as the writer suggests, because if a student truly has ADD or ADHD, adding interactive activities won't make that simply disappear.
I do think we should look for ways to grab students' interests and provide them with more opportunities for collaborative learning. The blog that the article is written for is one example of using a Web 2.0 activity to provide students with a different way of learning.
As an instructor, I would need to make sure my students were fully aware of how to utilize a given tool to develop a rich learning environment. I have found that students aren't necessarily as comfortable with different types of technology, unless it can be easily accessed and utilized. To help build comfort with different tools, I would need to create a safe learning environment where mistakes are ok, provide student friendly user guides, and be available to address any and all concerns that students have.
Sean,
ReplyDeleteI thought your post was really thoughtful and well written. I agree that the article was flawed in some ways. In particular, I agree that she oversimplifies the ADHD diagnosis, which I do agree is far too quickly and easily reached by many doctors. However, some students truly have attention deficit difficulties, and no amount of interactivities will quickly or easily make this deficit disappear. It sounds like you are thoughtful about using new tools and technologies in your classroom. Nice post!
Sean, I would agree with Pankaj. You seem to be very thoughtful about using new tools and technology in special ed. Great work!
ReplyDeleteI really like your point about student awareness of how to utilize these kinds of tech applications. Just because they like video games does not mean they will thoughtful use technology for educational purposes. (In fact, sometimes it's the opposite!) As we bring these tools into our classrooms, we need to be especially intentional about how we are instructing students to use them; it sounds like you have already thought a great deal about how to talk to your students about technology.
ReplyDeleteI really like your point about student awareness of how to utilize these kinds of tech applications. Just because they like video games does not mean they will thoughtful use technology for educational purposes. (In fact, sometimes it's the opposite!) As we bring these tools into our classrooms, we need to be especially intentional about how we are instructing students to use them; it sounds like you have already thought a great deal about how to talk to your students about technology.
ReplyDelete