I think flipped learning is a great strategy for students who struggle with traditional note taking. With a video, students are able to pause at any moment if they get lost are confused with the material. Further, students who might normally be afraid to ask questions in class would be able to note questions they have and ask the teacher about them individually or via email. For a math class in particular, students have the ability to complete problems during class time and ask questions about the homework versus only getting a few minutes of time to complete homework problems after listening to a lecture.
2) How can occasionally Flipping your classroom help you reclaim "lost instructional time"?
I think flipping your classroom would particularly help with students who are frequently absent or who miss the initial lesson for a unit. Having a video that students can access to catch up on material would help them reclaim lost instructional time. It would also make it easier for myself, as I wouldn't have to find time within class to help catch up particular students.
3) Developing content is time consuming, where can you find quality, relevant sources for Flipping your instruction?
Flippedteaching.com has a whole resource page that lists sites that a teacher can use to help develop videos for their students. There are lots of people who currently do flipped learning, so looking at their example would help. In the district, I know of several teachers who are already flipping their classrooms, so we have local sources as well to help us troubleshoot this concept.
In math, there already is a great website called Khan Academy that has worked out problems in videos for students to access.
I agree with all that you say. Flipping the classroom is a wonderful teaching tool where as teachers we can reach students in non traditional ways such as sick or absent students. The Khan Academy is a great wbsite for math but anyone know of one for PE
ReplyDeleteSean, I agree with your comments about the benefits of flipped learning for students who are absent and/or struggle with the material. You also mentioned some teachers in our district who have been successful in using flipped learning. I would love to see how they are using it in their classes. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteSean, I agree with your comments on flipped learning. This is a great tool for absent children and it gives teachers a chance to give instant feedback in the classwork when they are working on assignments.
ReplyDelete