I could see using a wiki as a classroom dictionary or resource. If students are learning new terms, this could be a great way to get ideas started and have students express what they know about a particular term. For example, if you are covering triangle similarity, you could assign groups of students particular congruence theorems and have them put all of the information they know about each on to the wiki. Other groups could then edit or suggest changes that different groups are missing based on what they know.
As students work on a particular topic, they can add information to their definitions, and create an online study guide to use for tests and exams.
Perhaps for a reading assignment, students could use a wiki to write summaries of particular chapters or to keep logs about certain characters.
The idea with the wikis would be to provide the students with an opportunity to edit and build upon the work they have already completed and shared.
Your post made me realize that I hadn't thought about using a Wiki while actually IN class... I love this idea! Just like when a teacher breaks students into groups with a big piece of chart paper... A Wiki can be used similarly. Small groups can be working to add to a class document to be reviewed as an entire class.
ReplyDeleteI love this in class idea to generate study sheets! I often have students complete study sheets by hand, but instead I could be directly typing into a class wiki as my students discuss important terms from the unit. They could access these study sheets anywhere if it's electronic.
ReplyDeleteI think this is a great idea. You could also take this dictionary idea and ask students to edit the wiki by inputting examples of the term.
ReplyDelete