Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Digital Citizenship Reflection

After going through this lesson, I had to reflect on my own knowledge of digital citizenship. The issue of privacy really stood out to me, especially in regards to sites such as Twitter and Facebook. Comments or photos you post stay with you and can really be damaging down the road.

To establish a culture where students respect and interact safely on the internet, I think there needs to be several lessons or activities where students can see what happens when students are not using the internet appropriately. Perhaps you could offer a lesson where students are given particular situations where students posted something inappropriate or misused a resource. They could discuss what appropriate consequences are and then see real life examples of the situations.

If you are having students utilize technology in the classroom, where they are blogging with each other or making comments, I think it would be necessary to have the class discuss and establish norms in the classroom that would contribute to an appropriate environment.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that misuse can be damaging down the road and maybe permanently. I do not feel that all kids have the ability to think that far ahead and therefore do not take consequences seriously. I like your idea of presenting real life examples..that may have an impact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this idea. I think that asking student to act as a potential employer and having them observe how information in an internet search of a potential employee could affect their view of them as a candidate for the position.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this idea too! Perhaps this type of lesson could be a homeroom activity for a particular amount of time, or incorporated somehow to the beginning of a unit, semester, or year! I believe students have a hard time using information online; I think they are quick to just copy and paste, and then maybe change one or two words.
    I can tell you put a lot of thought into your post, thanks for your reflection!

    ReplyDelete